Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It's Not All Fun....

This is not fun....another dumpster in front of my house - more on that in a minute.....
Labor Day was celebrated with my my family at my house. Since I'm not a "griller" (something about propane tanks just gives me the willies - perhaps it's the fire we had during a party a few years back when we had to evacuate the house till the fire dept. came....) anyway, the chicken was cooked in the oven, the corn on the cob boiled etc. Here's mom and Emma enjoying some time together. This was fun!
Brother Brian brought this table to me (at my request). I purchased it new 30 yrs ago at a time when my decor tended towards more comtemporary....my taste changed and I passed it on to Brian and his family. Sometime in the last 5 years it went into storage....until I remembered it. I've been looking for a pedestal table and somehow this came to mind! It needs to be refinished and I'm still debating whether to paint it white or restain it, but in my efforts to recycle and reuse, it will work perfect (especially since it has 2 leaves and was free!) This will be a mixture of fun and not so fun....
....and then there's the membrane roof on the rear of my home.... Having had it recovered 5 yrs ago, I was assured it would last 20 yrs.... It's been leaking for all 5 yrs and the installer has gone out of business..... so.... nothing to do but have it replaced.
.......not pretty pictures by any means, but this shows some of the rot that they have discovered.
Not only were there 2 membrane roofs, but below the backer board for those was a layer of gravel and tar roofing (put on no doubt before the days of membranes). This too was wet and the board below that soaked too. I feel fortunate to not have had my ceiling fall in on me! When it's done I will have a much more attractive shingled roof to look at out my second floor windows and sleeping porch. Anyway now you know what the dumpster is doing in my front yard.
This is not fun!!!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Good morning,
I remember the grilling fire drill. LOL What drama!
Sounds like you all had a lovely day enjoying family time together.
Hope the roofing project goes smoothly. It will be nice to have that mess behind you and to be able to gaze upon your new shingled roof.
Hugs,
Sue