Friday, August 3, 2007

After A While

After A While
by Veronica A. Shoffstall

After a while you learn
the subtle difference between
holding a hand and chaining a soul
and you learn
that love doesn't mean leaning
and company doesn't always mean security.
And you begin to learn
that kisses aren't contracts
and presents aren't promises
and you begin to accept your defeats
with your head up and your eyes ahead
with the grace of woman, not the grief of a child
and you learn
to build all your roads on today
because tomorrow's ground is
too uncertain for plans
and futures have a way of falling down
in mid-flight.
After a while you learn
that even sunshine burns
if you get too much
so you plant your own garden
and decorate your own soul
instead of waiting for some one
to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure
you really are strong
you really do have worth
and you learn
and you learn
with every goodbye, you learn.....


I discovered this poem while reading the book "Ice Bound". (It seems to have resonated with the author Jerri Nielsen, as it did with me.) I find it's words quite profound and inspiring. I hope you enjoy it too... Sheryl

9 comments:

Sue said...

Beautiful poem, very true.
I'm home now, MJ is stable. It may be a while for anything else to develope so we felt it best to be home for now.
Sue

Rabbit Hill Creations said...

What a wonderful & inspiring poem. Thank you for sharing it.

Indigo Robe said...

Wow, powerful poem and I NEEDED it right now. I so needed it. Thank you for posting this at the right time. It has truly impacted my heart and soul.

You are an angel, whether you know it or not!

Janet said...

I had this poem framed and it helped me through a very rough divorce many years ago. It was called "Comes the Dawn" back them. Thanks for printing it for all of us to read; it is a powerful voice.

Janet

Lori said...

hello, I came across your site today because another site posted an awesome pic of your living room!! Is that a Grandma's Attic sofa by Hickory Hill furniture? I am in love with that style of sofa and tease my family when I can finally get mine one day I can die happ! What a beautiful living room! I know I said that but it is! Comevisit me soon! Lori

Lori said...

Oops forgot to mention I was touched by the words of your poem posted. One more item can I ask how much was the lacy door hanger and is it very thick at the top, curious if the dooor shuts alright. Lori

Unknown said...

What a touching poem! Thank you so much for posting this. It gave me goosebumps!

Amy

Sue said...

Sheryl,
Hi, I've picked you for a fun tag. Drop by my blog to see.
Sue

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I have loved that poem for years, even have a copy of it on a tattered typed page. I never knew where it came from.
Thank you for letting me read it again!